Misalignment of the wheel will result in abnormal wear, and may result in an unsafe riding condition.
Drive Chain Wear Inspection • Remove:
Left Side Muffler Body (see Engine Top End Chain Cover Screws [A] Chain Cover [B]
Mud Guard [C] (see Frame chapter)
• Rotate the rear wheel to inspect the drive chain for damaged rollers, and loose pins and links.
*If there is any irregularity, replace the drive chain.
• Lubricate the drive chain if it appears dry.
• Stretch the chain taut by hanging a 98 N (10 kg, 20 lb) weight [A] on the chain.
• Measure the length of 20 links [B] on the straight part [C] of the chain from the pin center of the 1st pin to the pin center of the 21st pin. Since the chain may wear unevenly, take measurements at several places.
• If any measurements exceed the service limit, replace the chain. Also, replace the front and rear sprockets when the drive chain is replaced.
Drive Chain 20-link Length Standard: 317.5 ~ 318.2 mm (12.50 ~ 12.53 in.) Service Limit: 323 mm (12.7 in.)
Was this article helpful?