The compression pressure reading of a cylinder is a good indicator of its internal condition. The decision to overhaul the cylinder is often based on the results of a compression test. Periodic maintenance records kept at your dealership should include compression readings for each maintenance service.
COMPRESSION PRESSURE SPECIFICATION
1 000 - 1 500 kPa / 10 - 15 kgf/cm2 \ \ 142-213 psi /
Low compression pressure can indicate any of the following conditions:
* Excessively worn cylinder walls
* Worn piston or piston rings
* Piston rings stuck in grooves
* Poor valve seating
* Ruptured or otherwise defective cylinder head gasket
Overhaul the engine in the following cases:
* Compression pressure in one of the cylinders is less than 800 kPa (8 kgf/cm2, 114 psi).
* The difference in compression pressure between any two cylinders is more than 200 kPa (2 kgf/cm2, 28 psi).
* All compression pressure readings are below 1 000 kPa (10 kgf/cm2, 142 psi) even when they measure more than 800 kPa (8 kgf/cm2, 114 psi).
COMPRESSION TEST PROCEDURE
* Before testing the engine for compression pressure, make sure that the cylinder head nuts are tightened to the specified torque values and the valves are properly adjusted.
* Have the engine warmed-up before testing.
* Make sure that the battery is fully-charged.
Remove the related parts and test the compression pressure in the following manner.
* Remove all of the spark plugs.
* Install the compression gauge and adaptor in the spark plug hole. Make sure that the connection is tight.
* Keep the throttle grip in the fully opened position.
* Press the starter button and crank the engine for a few seconds. Record the maximum gauge reading as the cylinder compression.
* Repeat this procedure with the other cylinders.
ItSSlI 09915-64510: Compression gauge set 09915-63310: Adaptor
Was this article helpful?
You can now recondition your old batteries at home and bring them back to 100 percent of their working condition. This guide will enable you to revive All NiCd batteries regardless of brand and battery volt. It will give you the required information on how to re-energize and revive your NiCd batteries through the RVD process, charging method and charging guidelines.