1. Start the engine, warm it up for several minutes, and then turn it off.
2. Place an oil pan under the engine to collect the used oil.
3. Remove the engine oil filler cap and drain bolt to drain the oil from the crankcase.
4. Install the engine oil drain bolt, and then tighten it to the specified torque.
Tightening torque: Engine oil drain bolt:
5. Add the specified amount of the recommended engine oil, and then install and tighten the oil filler cap.
Recommended engine oil:
See page 8-1. Oil quantity:
Periodic oil change:
3.0 L (2.64 Imp qt, 3.17 US qt) Total amount (dry engine): 3.6 L (3.17 Imp qt, 3.81 US qt)
• In order to prevent clutch slippage (since the engine oil also lubricates the clutch), do not mix any chemical additives with the oil or use oils of a "CD" grade or higher. In addition, do not use oils labeled "ENERGY CONSERVING II" or higher.
• Make sure that no foreign material enters the crankcase.
6. Start the engine, and then let it idle for several minutes while checking it for oil leakage. If oil is leaking, immediately turn the engine off and check for the cause.
After the engine is started, the engine oil level warning light should go off if the oil level is sufficient.
If the oil level warning light flickers or remains on, immediately turn the engine off and have a Yamaha dealer check the vehicle.
7. Turn the engine off, and then check the oil level and correct it if necessary.
Have a Yamaha dealer replace the oil filter element when necessary.
Was this article helpful?