Batteries generate explosive hydrogen gas and contain electrolyte which is made of poisonous and highly caustic sulfuric acid. Therefore, always follow these preventive measures:
• Wear protective eye gear when handling or working near batteries.
• Charge batteries in a well-ventilated area.
• Keep batteries away from fire, sparks or open flames (e.g., welding equipment, lighted cigarettes).
• DO NOT SMOKE when charging or handling batteries.
• KEEP BATTERIES AND ELECTROLYTE OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.
• Avoid bodily contact with electrolyte as it can cause severe burns or permanent eye injury.
FIRST AID IN CASE OF BODILY CONTACT: EXTERNAL
• Eyes - Flush with water for 15 minutes and get immediate medical attention.
Was this article helpful?